MARINE PARK REGULATION AND CONSERVATION
Marine park are ideal places for viewing the rich aquatic life
that abound in Malaysia's water. There are 5 marine parks and
tourist wishing to visit these parks must take note of
What is Marine Park ?
A Marine park is an area of the sea zoned as a sanctuary for the
coral reef community which is considered as possibly the most
productive ecosystem in the world, with its diversity of flora and
fauna. Coral reefs are also important breeding and nursery grounds
for many commercially important species of marine organisms and
objectives of the marine park and Marine reserves are:
- Preservation and protection of coral reef areas from
the impact of development.
- Upgrade and preserve the natural habitat of
endangered species of aquatic life.
- Establishment of zones for preservation of the aquatic
flora and fauna and also for the purpose of research
and educational activities.
- Establishment of zones for recreational uses
consistent with the carrying capacity of the area.
What are the benefits of Marine Park?
With the establishment of the Marine Park, the benefits are as
- The ecosystem and habitat of marine life will be
protected and maintained
- Rejuvenation of over exploited zones and their
maintenance for the protection of endangered
species of marine organisms.
- Establishment of zones for research and educational
- Establishment of zones for recreational uses and
the establishment and management of the marine parks in the
Fisheries Act 1985 allows for the control of the following
Permitted Activities :
- Underwater photography
- Observation and appreciation of the aquatic flora and
- Scuba Diving
Prohibited Activities (except with
- Water skiing, speed boat racing and jet skiing
- Destruction, removal or collection of the corals and
other aquatic life
- Vandalizing and structure or object within the marine
- Anchoring of boats over the coral areas.
- Carrying and using weapons that endanger aquatic
- Fishing in the park vicinity. (within a 3.2km radius)
- Discharging of pollutants and rubbish
A levy of RM5.00 for adult and RM2.50 for children is
charged for entry to all marine parks in the country.
77A, Jalan Sultan Sulaiman, 20000 Kuala
Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia.
Tel : +609 6262020 Fax : +609 6262022 / +609 6228093
COPYRIGHT © PERHENTIAN-ISLAND.COM . ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .
(License : KPL/LN2117 / 209874W)